Wednesday, August 27

Mental games

Not too long ago, I had a great conversation with a friend. We were talking about things that were going on with our lives and she asked me if I ever had conversations with certain people "in my head"...you know what I'm talking about, right? When you are putting on your make-up or showering when suddenly something pops into your head and you start "arguing" with this person as if they are there...but they aren't.

Anyway, since then I've realized how often I do this! I also have begun to realize how distructive this is for me. It's like I'm verbalizing the worry that I feel inside. When it comes out in a narrative form (with myself debating both sides), I've noticed how often I seem to allow it to happen in real life...causing real fights, not just imaginary ones.

So, yesterday morning I was getting ready when that voice popped in my head wanting to fight, right? I decided I didn't want to do it anymore, so I told (outloud) that voice that I'm not taking any calls and that Jesus would be handling any concerns and problems today. The funny thing (besides the fact that I'm basically arguing with myself) is that it worked! Suddenly, that voice went away and I was left with calmness to get ready for the day. I was reminded that Jesus will always handle my concerns and problems with people if I just let Him.

Hmm...what a comforting thought going into this weekend! :)

--by grace

P.S. Here is my verse for today on my Billy Graham calendar: "I will give them a new heart and a new mind." ~ Ezekiel 11:19 (good timing, Lord!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea - I'll have to try that approach myself! m

Erika said...

Oh my goodness....glad to know I'm not the only one who does this :) SUCH a good idea...I will definitely try that next time...it always seems that when I actually talk to the person, it is nothing compared to what I had imagined...what an awful thing worry is! Love your thoughts!

"God, of Your goodness give me yourself, for You are enough for me. And only in You do I have everything." ~Julian of Norwich~