Two days ago, my two little boys (foster sons) and I went to take Christmas cookies and our card to a dear older lady named Mabel. At 93 years old, she isn't getting around as well as she used to but her mind is sharp and her love for the Lord inspires me. Mabel never married but served as a nurse to the Navajo Indians. She loves seeing my boys because they are Native American and bring back so many good memories of her younger years.
She has such an eye for detail whenever we go. She will say things like, "(Your older son) has a mischievous twinkle in his eye. He keeps you on your toes!" I laugh and say, "Yes he does!" This past time she watched my busy boys and said, "They are busy and you must always have to keep an eye on them!" I nodded. Then she added, "You are so busy, but you know that Jesus is always with you! Don't you? He is working with you in this good work you are doing." I felt her words zing me. They went right through bone and marrow into my spirit. I mean, I know that Jesus is with me, but when she said it to me that day I knew it. As real as if he was sitting right there between us, I felt his presence and knew her words were true even though most days I'm so busy that I rarely have time to truly savor his presence.
At one time, I asked her about her time with the Navajos. I said, "I bet you have some great stories to tell." She just smiled and deflected the attention off of herself. Then she said, "You will have your own stories to tell, Amber." Again, her words zinged me. Another thing about Mabel is that she prays through the church directory. I know she is praying for the boys and my husband and myself. What a blessing to know such a woman! I thank my God every time I remember her.
(I wish I could post a picture of her, but my pictures I took also have my boys in them and so I can't for the sake of privacy but someday I hope I will be able to share them publicly if we ever get to adopt.)
December 14, 2014
3 comments:
I love this :) Mabel sounds so sweet and I know you are a blessing to her as well!
Love this! Isn't amazing sometimes to listen to the wise advice from those who've walked with Jesus way longer then us?
Hi I think I knew Mabel too. She died in 2015.
Post a Comment