Sunday, October 26

Fresh Eyes

My Thursday morning women's Bible study is doing Susie Larson's My Beautiful Purpose study this fall.  I hadn't read anything from Susie before so I was expecting "fluff" but it has been anything but fluff.  Instead it has been powerful, kingdom messages for me that have begun to change the way I see my world.  On page 75, she says, "Ask God for fresh eyes to see those whom He appoints for you to touch. You'll be surprised how wonderfully God can love through you." After I prayed this prayer for fresh eyes, it was amazing how many opportunities I saw and felt empowered to do something.

One of these happened about two weeks ago.  I was at a park with a friend (Dani) who has two little boys, 2 years old and 2 months old.  We were just wrapping up our play date when another gal came into the park and her little boy (16 months old) toddled right up to our boys.  He was a happy little guy.  She said, "Don't mind me."  So Dani and I kept talking.  I was telling Dani a story of something that the Lord had done for us a few years back and in the middle of the story I became aware that this other gal (Joy) was listening.  I looked at Joy and laughed, "You don't know me so you'll probably think I'm a little crazy but I'm gonna keep on telling this cool God-story."  She just laughed and after I finished it, Debbi got her boys in their stroller.  Joy came over and said, "Can I ask where ya'll go to church?"  So, we told her and gave her the service times.  After Dani left, I talked to Joy for about 15 minutes.  I found out Jo's father was in prison and that her little boy's father was no where in the picture.  She asked if we could exchange phone numbers and meet again at the park sometime.  I said sure.  She told me the story of how her little boy got his name and it was a very cool God-story as well.  I just had this feeling in my bones that this was a divine appointment.  I got a text from Joy today and we chatted a little through that. 

I've had a few different things like this happen to me this month.  I can sense the Holy Spirit guiding me and helping me to look outside myself and our household, which is very refreshing since in the past two years I'd been so busy with a medical baby that my purpose was very much just helping my little Buddy thrive and survive.  Now it is time to serve - to imitate Jesus just as Jesus imitated his Father - to look outward with fresh eyes.

October 26, 2014
"God, of Your goodness give me yourself, for You are enough for me. And only in You do I have everything." ~Julian of Norwich~