Monday, September 21

God's voice

Since accepting that God has taken me out of the workplace and into my very own 'Kerith Ravine' (like Elijah), I have begun to hear God's voice speak to me. It's not audible, but just like with Elijah I've noticed the smallest whisper in my spirit speaking before, during and after quiet times with Him.

It began last week, around the time my spirit finally calmed and quieted down, and as I listen I hear God telling me messages. One that I need to look away from the world and what others might say to/about me. I need to look only to God to meet my needs. He also tells me that the most important task that I can do is to pray. Also, he wants me to rest, because he's going to take care of me. Lastly, that he has given me the gift of staying home and being set apart from the world for a season to pray and fellowship with him.

Here's an excerpt from Streams in the Desert about the Kerith Ravine:

"God's servants must be taught the value of the hidden side of life. The person who is to serve in a lofty place before others must also assume a lowly place before his God. We should not be surprised if God occasionally says to us 'Dear Child, you have had enough of this hurried pace, excitement, and publicity. Now I want you to go and hide yourself--hide in the Kerith Ravine-- in some place of solitude, from which the crowds have turned away. Acquiring spiritual power is impossible unless we hide from others and ourselves in some deep ravine where we may absorb the power of the eternal God. Some examples of others who were hidden away (in history): Lancelot Andrews, John Welsh, Christmas Evans, Apostle John on Isle of Patmos, Jesus in Nazareth and the wilderness of Judea.

So, none of us is exempt from a 'ravine' experience, where the sounds of human voices are exchanged for the waters of quietness that flow from the throne of God."

Now I do not know exactly what the future holds, but as each day comes I only ask God to show me what He wants me to do and bring into my path opportunities to share Jesus with those who do not know Him yet or water the seed that has been planted. I pray that as the quietness in my heart overshadows the busyness of life and the conflicting noise of this narcissistic world, I would finally hear God's voice speaking peace and mysteries that I have never heard before.

Lord Jesus, let your Word take root in my heart and never be snatched away. Speak, Lord, your servant is listening.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Thank you for sharing this! I love the part about none of us being exempt from a ravine experience where God is quiet. I was JUST reading through my Purpose Driven Life book again and I'm at the chapter about continuing to focus on God's presence even when he doesn't feel near.

"God, of Your goodness give me yourself, for You are enough for me. And only in You do I have everything." ~Julian of Norwich~