In my ladies Sunday school at Church, we are going through Beth Moore's Daniel study. It has been awesome. It is divided into two parts: Babylon and Eschatology. Eschatology is defined as any system of doctrines concerning last, or final, matters, as death, the Judgment, the future state, etc.
Most people nowadays believe in a premillenial doctrine, which is basically what the "Left Behind" series teach. I had always been taught that doctrine in the church but yesterday, after learning more about amillenial doctrine, I am leaning toward that theology. One reason is because the premillenial doctrine teaches a "secret return of Christ" (aka-rapture). I have looked all over the Bible but don't see anything about the return of Christ being a quiet and secret one. In fact, every passage talks about the coming of Christ being triumphant, loud w/ trumpets and the cry of an archangel.
One of the reasons why I believed in a rapture is the same reason that Beth Moore still believes in one...the "days of Noah" and "days of Lot" examples. Noah and his family were rescued, as was Lot and his daughters. But after thinking about the scriptures I realize that while God did allow Lot to leave Sodom and Gomorrah, Noah was technically not taken out of this world while God pour down his judgement. Instead, he was given a vessel that was ultimately his salvation (the Ark). In Colossians, this is paralled with baptism for the believer in Christ.
Thus, I do believe that when God does pour out his wrath upon the earth, those who are saved by faith in Jesus Christ will be saved from the wrath of God miraculously but not necessarily raptured out of this world. Just as Noah and his family were safe inside the ark as the world around them perished, so I also believe that God will keep us safe during the last days when He pours out His wrath and judgement upon the earth. I'm going to do more study on this topic but I'll close with my calendar quote from Billy Graham:
Once while crossing the North Atlantic in a ship, I looked out my porthole when I got up in the morning and saw one of the blackest clouds I had ever seen...I ordered my breakfast sent to my room and spoke to the steward about the storm. He said, "Oh, we've already come through that storm. It's behind us." If we are believers in Jesus Christ, we have already come through the storm of judgement. It happened at the Cross. Don't be bound by your guilt or your fears any longer, but realize that sin's peanlty has already been paid by Christ--completely and fully.
Today I thank you God that those of us who know Jesus Christ as our Savior don't need to worry about Your upcoming judgement. I pray for those who don't know You. May they not tarry too long and miss their chance at salvation. In the Name of Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.
1 comment:
Hey Amber! I enjoyed reading your blog for today! I, too, am leaning toward amillenialism. Have you read those pamphlets I left with you at Christmas? Paul and I are taking an adult confirmation class. One of the last weeks will be on eschatology. I'm looking very forward to it. I really want to be able to know what I believe and why I believe it, especially if it goes against a popular Christian viewpoint that's out there. Well, gotta run! Love you tons, Kara
Post a Comment