Last night after exercising, I turned on the television and caught the tail end of a medical practice show. It had a man dying and two male doctors at his side talking with him about his life and upcoming death. It was sobering to see, even though it was fictitious. The dying man, at the end of his life, started to cry softly and say that he could feel a weight upon him and a feeling like he was never alive. One of the doctors held him and until he died kept repeating, "You are here. You are here. You are here." After he was dead, he kept repeating it until the other doctor stopped him and said that he was gone. Then he sat back and rocked back and forth and said softly, "He was here. He was here." It was touching and sad.
I've never had a near death experience so I cannot speak about dying, but I know that others who have gone before me who were believers in Jesus Christ had a different experience. I've been told stories of my great-grandparents and my dad's dad. It was a peaceful going and not at all fearful.
I'm realizing as I get older that there is a direct corrolation to the way people remember me and my relationship to God. People who live their lives striving for vain things like money, fame, and power will end up melting away without much of a legacy. People who live their lives striving to do God's Will and trust in Jesus Christ to help them fulfill their life purpose will not die in vain.
My calendar today says, "Because many do not believe in life after death, their writings are filled with tragedy and pessimism. How different from Jesus Christ who said, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die.' (John 11:25-26)....Because we know Christ is alive, we have hope--hope for the present and hope for life beyond the grave."
I am thankful that (like Job in the Old Testament) I can say "My Redeemer lives and I shall see Him on that day."
--by His grace,
Amber
1 comment:
There's a lady at our church that works with Hospice and she was telling us stories of how she knows when a person is a Christian or not because the Christians always die so peacefully. I used to be so scared to die, but since deepening my faith, I am so with you and can say without a shadow of a doubt that I will see Christ someday and to "die is gain!" :) I can't imagine not being a Christian and not knowing that peace! Wonderful post! :)
Post a Comment