Tuesday, November 11

Chess Game

Lately I feel like I'm in the middle of a bad chess game. I, unfortuately, feel like a pawn with a bunch of queens, kings, knights, rooks, and bishops making all the decisions that determine my fate. It's a little frustrating to watch world events take place and know that I am unable to stop them.

It reminds me of a little event that happened this weekend. Ben and I were at another couple's house for supper and I was holding their little girl, Kaylee (notice the picture of her on the side w/ Lizzy, my dog). Anyway, Kaylee reached for my bowl of brownie sundae and I was quick enough to move it away. Then I watched as she reached for my glass of Sprite and successfully pulled it toward us...sending sticky pop onto the table and then the floor (not on us though). I should've been able to stop it from happening but for some reason I just sat there at watched it all take place. Poor Kari (her mom) had to mop the floor and get all that sugar off her table.

My point is...there are some of us who can do nothing...NOTHING...well, actually we can do something. We can pray.

I don't mean to belittle prayer...because it is not something to make light of. It is our duty in days like this. I believe that God allowed the election to go the way it did because:

1) We, as believers, haven't done a good job of praying up until now (let's face it...we haven't)
2) He's in control (Dan 2:20-23) and sets up kings and removes them. He knows what He's doing.
3) He'd rather we be holy than happy.

I'm going to get on my knees and pray hard for America because honestly I'm a little afraid of what the future holds. I know a lot of people who haven't made Jesus Christ their Savior and are banking on doing it "later."

Maybe that's where the phrase "miss the boat" came from...all of Noah's neighbors saying they would repent later and then...well, they missed their chance.

Back to that chess game...this little pawn may not be powerful and influential enough to change current events but I can pray and by God's grace I will intercede for America that God will continue to have mercy on us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amber! I didn't know you blogged. Interesting post! I think the elections as well as all of our day-to-day events are continual tests...do we say "In God we Trust?" and truly mean it? Fun to see your blog!
Abby Anderson :-)
www.xanga.com/mrsabby

"God, of Your goodness give me yourself, for You are enough for me. And only in You do I have everything." ~Julian of Norwich~