Wednesday, July 9

Reflections of the first 30 years

It's hard to believe in 1 week I'll be thirty years old. That sounds so much older than I feel! Thinking back, I see God's hand at work in every stage.

High school was sometimes lonely and sometimes a lot of fun. I learned to hold to Christ and be strong for Him in the midst of pop-culture.

College was a confusing time for me. I had never attended a Christian school before so I had expectations of it that weren't realistic. A lot of people around me who attended didn't always act Christian-like. I also learned that my own perceptions of right and wrong weren't always as sure as I once thought and that I needed to compare everything to the Bible. I learned that my striving meant that God couldn't work for me and once I stopped striving so hard...he brought me exactly what I wouldn't have found on my own...my husband, B.

My first seven years of marriage have taught me that I can love someone more than myself. I have learned to never do something just because that is what culture expects me to do, but to follow God's leading instead. I have learned that God loves me for who I am unconditionally--no if's, and's or but's. I have learned that Jesus is not just a way to salvation, He's also my best friend. I have learned that to be a friend I need to listen, not just talk.

Well...that's all my reflections for now.

--by grace



5 comments:

Michelle said...

Seven years of marriage already! We're just coming up on ONE, so seven seems like a lot to us! :)

AmberNDahl said...

Believe me, it goes so fast! Enjoy every year... :)

Erika said...

I can't believe you'll be 30 in 2 days!!! That is crazy!! I loved this post! Isn't it amazing how we don't always know what God is up to, but when we look back, we see how He perfectly worked out everything! I needed a reminder in that area!! :)

Erika said...

Happy 30th Birthday!!!! :D I hope and pray it is GREAT! Love ya much!

AmberNDahl said...

Thanks Erika! Lova ya too!

"God, of Your goodness give me yourself, for You are enough for me. And only in You do I have everything." ~Julian of Norwich~