In January, I told my doctor that I had been exercising pretty regularly (3x/wk) for over a month but when weighed in I hadn't lost a pound. I wanted to be healthy and feel good about myself again. He mentioned to me that if I hadn't tracked my calories that I should try that.
So for the past six months or so (off and on) I've been tracking my calories. Somedays I don't because I forget or because I just don't want to know the damage! Other days I have been logging onto http://www.mydailyplate.com/ which gives me a free place to journal my calories and exercising.
My thoughts today on this subject come because I do want to be healthy and not let myself "go" but I also want to have the freedom to enjoy my food without thinking "This turkey sandwich with cheese and mayo has over 300 hundred calories!"
It's a fine line between being healthy and becoming obsessed. I've known people who have gotten obsessed with it and that's not good. In the past, I've had certain people tell me that I need to "watch what I eat" which basically means 'you need to lose weight!' It was source of hard feelings for me but in January I decided that I was going to lose for me this time. Not for anyone else...just me.
I honestly don't care what size of clothes I weigh as long as I don't have a double chin in pictures and my stomach isn't sticking out too much.
Some spiritual food for today isn't really related to this topic but it feeds my soul:
The late C.S. Lewis in his remarkable book Christian Behavior, said, "Hope is one of the theological virtues." He meant that a continual looking forward to the eternal world is not, as some people think, a form of escapism or wishful thinking, but one of the things a Christian is meant to do..."Aim at heaven," said Lewis, "and you will get earth thrown in. Aim at earth, and you will get neither."
By the way, I've lost a few pounds (I'm not telling how much) and feeling good about my eating and exercising habits... Discipline...it's hard but sure is rewarding.
Still living--
--by grace
1 comment:
Lately, I've been "nonchalantly" tracking my calories and wow, what a difference! I've been trying to be more careful with what I eat...you motivated me! :)
Post a Comment