It has probably been about two years since I've last posted. In that time, I've learned a lot about myself and a lot about serving. Doing foster care has taught me many, many lessons. Maybe someday I will write a book about them but these days I'm a little too busy to write much. I have two boys, 3 & 2 years old, and they keep my days occupied with living life.
Before we took in our youngest son (foster), I remember I wasn't a very happy person. Yet, I should've been. I had a everything I wanted and a lot of time on my hands - I watched all my favorite TV shows, bought whatever I really wanted, and yet I was very unhappy. I picked up a book. Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis. You will find her blog on my list of favorite blogs. When I went to read it, I looked up at the ceiling and said, "Don't let me read this book and not be changed." Halfway through I put the book down for about two weeks. It was so convicting. I cannot tell you how or why, you will just have to read the book yourself. The Holy Spirit kept prompting me to pick it up again. So, I did. I finished it and realized why I'd become such an unhappy person. I was indulging my flesh so much that life had become all about ME.
Then about a week after I finished the book, I received a phone call from Gail, our foster care licenser, regarding a placement possibility. She told me right off the bat that the baby had a G-tube and that he was a medical baby, which was scaring off a lot of parents. I didn't feel freaked out, which I almost expected to feel, so I told her to continue. (Now, before I continue I must confess that I'm not a medical person. My mom was a nurse, my mother in law was a nurse, and my sister in law is a nurse...but I am definitely not. I faint when I get my cholesterol checked.) She told me his name, his tribal nationality, and that I would need to go to the Sanford Children's clinic in 1 1/2 hours to pick him up.
That last detail was the only thing that almost kept me from saying yes. My other little guy was 18 months at the time and he was a terrible napper. I had just gotten him to sleep and was enjoying a few minutes of quiet when Gail called. But again something inside told me not to determine the future by a few minutes of peace and quiet right now, so I told her to keep calling and I would ask my husband first. Strangely she said she would just wait for me to call her back. (I found out later that we were the last home because every other home had turned her down!)
First thing I did was call a lady that I hardly knew at the time, but we are now best friends. I knew she was a stay at home mom and that all her boys were in school. God placed her name in my head so I prayed, "Lord, if she says no to watching (my other little boy) while I have to do the medical appointments then I am going to say no to this assignment." I called her and told her I felt led to taking this little boy but needed someone to watch (little guy). She agreed right there without hesitating and I remember feeling amazed at her willingness. Then I called my husband. His first thing was, "I thought we weren't going to take medical babies?" (We weren't. It was on our application that we didn't want medical situations.) I told him I really felt led to try it at least after reading that book and seeing what Katie was willing to do so he said that was fine.
I called Gail back and my exact words were not my own. I was going to say, "We will take him." But I didn't. I said, "We want him. He's ours." Then I added, "If I find in 2 weeks that I can't do it, I will give you plenty of time to find another family for him."
She said, "I'm so glad. I don't know what I would've done if you'd said no. You were the last family on my list."
So, little guy and I set out to the Sanford medical clinic. I didn't even know where it was at the time, but it has now become almost a second home to us. We brought the infant car seat and sat down. The next thing I knew, a lady walked in with a very unhappy baby sobbing his eyes out. Screaming really. All eyes were on them as she checked him in. Then she looked around and I thought, "Oh my. That's him."
A sadder sight, I've never seen. His stomach was distended and his eyes were dull, lack of life. The little buddy was knocking on deaths door. Puss oozed out of G-tube site. He'd been sadly neglected and as the doctor checked him over, I found something new pumping in my veins.
Compassion.
(More on this story in future blogs. I must go to bed and get ready to face the next day with my boys. Good night and & God bless you.)
1 comment:
I just love this post....I've learned so much through your journey and your step of faith! I so want to come visit and have the kiddos play together again! :)
Post a Comment