Wednesday, August 20

WWJD?

Personal criticism is sometimes hard for me to take. I was just wondering how to handle a situation where two people I know (and know me well) like to critique everyone around them--including moi. Sometimes I try to distance myself from them, hoping to steer clear of their radar for picking up on people's flaws. I try to show no emotion when they lecture and pick apart every thing I say. Then later--in the privacy of my home--the emotion hits at the strangest times. My husband asked recently what causes this? I think I'm not used to holding in my feelings. Usually I show my heart on my sleeve, but I cannot do this with them.

Anyway, I was wondering what to do in this situation with them. Today I came to work and the first thing I do is change my Billy Graham calendar. Yesterday it was so applicable. Today...uncanny.

Isaiah 53:13 "He was despised and rejected by men, a Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief." Throughout His earthly life, Jesus was constantly exposed to personal criticism and rejection....How did He respond to criticism and rejection? First, with steadfastness. He did not tone down His message, nor did He stop doing what He knew was right. Second, with strength. Ahead of Him was the Cross--but He did not lose courage or shrink from what He knew was God's will. Third, with submission. When Herod prodded Him to defend Himself, "He answered him nothing" (Luke 23:9). Only one thing mattered: fulfilling God's purpose for His life. How will we meet criticism?

--by grace

No comments:

"God, of Your goodness give me yourself, for You are enough for me. And only in You do I have everything." ~Julian of Norwich~